ASSET MANAGEMENT (PP&E) & LOGISTICS
Binary provides comprehensive asset management services and staff augmentation support to help organizations proactively account for and manage buildings, structures and equipment, proactively manage costs to operate, maintain and repair assets, as well as effectively manage real estate contracts and reimbursements. Binary also works with leading logistic solution providers, providing system development and services to help clients better procure and manage the supply chain and support the warfighter and mission success.
The Federal Government has a vast portfolio of real property & equipment assets:
- Civilian Agencies manage 126,567 buildings, 1.1 billion square feet of buildings, 191,130 structures, and 9.3 million acres land
- Department of Defense’s real estate portfolio is one of the world’s largest and a portfolio of real property assets of about 568,000 facilities (2016) with a combined plant replacement value of about $1 trillion and 27.2 million acres of land.
Although DoD and other Federal organizations have made some progress towards better accountability and auditability of their assets and costs, many challenges remain in managing their vast portfolio of real property and equipment.
Binary helps organizations better manage their assets, reduce unneeded infrastructure, and replace aging equipment while maintaining the facilities needed to support several simultaneous force structure initiatives and ensuring that all real property and equipment is accounted for in the Accountable Property System of Record (APSR) to comply with the Chief Financial Officer’s Act (CFOA).
Our Real Property Support Services, conducted onsite and remotely by highly skilled subject matter experts (SMEs) with the functional and technical knowledge of multiple Accountable Property System of Records (APSR), improving the existence & completeness of real property assets, enabling organizations to maximize funding levels, proactively manage costs, and meet DoD and audit requirements.
Army Real Property Success
US Army Europe lacked the internal resources or expertise to conduct Real Property inspections and data updates in GFEBS to ensure all assets were complete and accurate for the audit sample. The assets were spread out across multiple countries and they needed a contractor that has the expertise to collect data rapidly to stay within BACO 90 restrictions.
Binary provided a Real Property / GFEBS experts with asset management lifecycle and audit requirements knowledge and hands-on experience in GFEBS to conduct inspections, validate data, complete documentation and hard copy folders and update or add records in GFEBS with accurate and audit compliant data.
Binary helped USAEUR to improve future funding levels and achieve the best audit sample among all land holding commands.
“Binary provided our organization with superior Real Property support services for the last several years. Because of their quality of work, the Audit Sample shows that USAUER has the best sample out there among land holding commands – 15 out of 16 so far.” – Realty Specialist for Facilities and Construction in the Office Deputy Chief of Staff Engineer, U.S. Army Europe.
Binary’s services include:
- Conduct assessments to determine the state of existence & completeness of data and documentation, delivering a findings report with actions needed to improve data and correct issues
- Conduct real property inspections and space utilization studies, covering an entire installation in a systemic approach, to capture complete data efficiently and accurately the first time
- Validate data against existing documentation or create new documents, ensuring hard copy folders are complete and audit compliant
- Update and correct data in APSRs and asset management systems, including GFEBS, Navy ERP, ISR, PRISMS, etc. for each asset to comply with DoD and audit requirements and improve data accuracy for better planning for future initiatives
- Inspect new construction, Found on Installation (FOI) and unbundled / unconsolidated assets, ensuring all assets are accounted for in the system of record with accurate and complete data
- Crosswalk, validate and update data in other real property systems — ePRISMS, ISR, RPlans, GIS, HQIIS, etc. — with GFEBS / Navy ERP / other ERP systems of record to identify data inconsistencies and issues, and revalidate assets / update systems to ensure accuracy across systems
- Provide over-the-shoulder training, business process improvements, and standard operating procedures, helping organizations maintain accurate and complete asset records
- Establish long-range strategies focused on community development and sustainability using effective Master Plans
- Provide ongoing and transparent visibility of our teams’ progress toward requirements and goals and overcome issues via better data analytics, delivering results on time
- Geographic information system services including mapping and surveying, data conversion, Internet mapping, database maintenance, software customization and integration, training, implementation, and other GIS services
Directorate of Public Works leaders have told us they are struggling with many issues, including overall deficiency in the quality and completeness of real property assets in APSRs and other asset systems, not enough resources to complete DoD and CFOA requirements on an ongoing basis, lack of information to make decisions or produce accurate Status of Funds, and not enough funding to properly operate and maintain assets. Because the information from planning systems is used to identify facility shortages and support budget decisions, incomplete, out-of-date, or inaccurate data is adversely affecting management decisions about infrastructure needs and facility maintenance / renovations.Binary is the ‘go-to’ contractor for the Army due to our extensive asset management functional knowledge and experience with GFEBS and other asset management systems, improving organizations’ accountability of all real property assets. Our teams have supported dozens of organizations (CONUS and OCONUS), including Fort Belvoir, Dugway Proving Ground, White Sands Missile Range, Fort Knox, Carlisle Barracks, U.S. Army Europe, Letterkenny Arsenal, and many others, enabling organizations to increase funding levels, proactively manage costs, and achieve audit readiness.
Our Plant Maintenance Support Services, conducted onsite and remotely by highly skilled SMEs, help organizations to set-up, update and effectively leverage APSRs and other asset management systems to better manage equipment, preventative maintenance schedules, work orders, OM&R costs, and service activities by facility contractors. Ensuring assets are complete and accurate in the official APSR can improve future funding levels, reduce costs, improve equipment lifetime value, and enable organizations to comply with DoD and audit readiness requirements.
Army Plant Maintenance & Real Property Success
Dugway Proving Ground lacked the internal resources or expertise to conduct Real Property inspections and data updates in GFEBS to ensure all assets were complete and accurate. GFEBS was not being utilized fully for the Plant Maintenance program, including work orders with inaccurate labor and material costs, leading to reactive O&M cost management, uncollected reimbursables, and inaccurate Status of Funds. Equipment data was missing in GFEBS, leading to reactive Plant Maintenance program, unnecessary / duplicate service work by contractor, negating warranties, and incurring unbudgeted costs
Binary provided a Real Property / GFEBS subject matter expert team with asset management lifecycle and audit requirements knowledge and hands-on experience in GFEBS to conduct Real Property inspections, validate data, complete documentation and hard copy folders and update or add records in GFEBS with accurate and audit compliant data.
Binary’s Plant Maintenance / GFEBS lead helped Dugway to prepare and begin transition of the Plant Maintenance Program to GFEBS and provided work order business process improvements. Binary’s SME also trained Dugway personnel and the facility management contractor staff to properly enter work orders with accurate labor and material costs and close out work orders effectively and on time.
Binary helped Dugway to optimize future funding levels and audit readiness with complete & accurate real property assets in GFEBS and some equipment assets with critical data including PM schedules, warranty information and associated facility, ensuring better management of service orders and improved reimbursable collections
Dugway’s Resource Management Director could anticipate costs better and produce an accurate Status of Funds. Binary also helped the organization reduce costs for unnecessary services, including duplicate service orders and warrantied equipment, so Dugway could direct funds to critical infrastructure projects and maintenance needs.
Binary services include:
- Develop and execute a transition plan to pivot the Plant Maintenance Program to GFEBS or other APSRs, ensuring accurate data for all equipment and work orders reflect all labor and material costs
- Conduct equipment surveys to capture critical data
- Validate data against documentation and upload / update data in GFEBS and other APSRs, including PM schedules, warranties, etc. and associate equipment with the proper real property assets
- Set-up preventative maintenance schedules in APSRs, enabling facility management contractors to proactively manage equipment maintenance and improve useful life
- Establish and manage the work order process to ensure all work orders are properly entered, managed, and closed out with all costs in the APSR
- Provide over-the-shoulder training, process improvements and standard operating procedures to government personnel and contractor staff so they can sustain work orders and data updates in GFEBS or other APSRs, improving data accuracy and Status of Funds reporting
- Manage the service desk and work order entry through close out of all service orders in the APSR
- Support process improvements for managing the warehouse inventory of materials and equipment manuals and warranties, improving cost management and data accuracy
DPW’s struggle to effectively maintain equipment assets and manage costs, due to lack of visibility on work order costs and data deficiencies in GFEBS and other APSRs. Equipment and plant maintenance data exists in silos, with critical cost information in outside enterprise and maintenance management systems (Maximo, etc.). Without complete data in the primary APSR, many organizations waste funds on unnecessary O&M activities or servicing warrantied equipment, negating warranties, and diminishing equipment lifetime value.
Binary has helped organizations successfully transition their Plant Maintenance program and fully leverage GFEBS and other APSRs, including Fort Bliss, Fort Meade, and other organizations. Binary can lead the transition execution from legacy systems / outside asset management platforms to the required system of record, turning around once reactive organization to proactively managing operations, costs, and contractors. Binary gets the work done right the first time, helping organizations comply with DoD and audit requirements.